Many women interested in fitness want to know what the best foods to eat before a workout are and exactly when and if they should be eating before exercising. The answer is simple if you follow my diet plan, especially designed for women’s fitness.
I suggest 5 sensible meals a day rather than 3 larger meals. This way, no matter what time of day you choose to work out, you will be well-nourished but never over-stuffed. Of course, you should never eat too close to the time you will be working out, because your body needs time to digest the food. Strenuous exercise on a full stomach could cause digestive distress.
Choose foods that provide fuel for the body such as carbs and eat protein to help your body build muscles and supply much needed nutrients to all of your cells. There are many foods to choose from, but I have provided the top five foods that are low in calories and fat in relation to the amount of good stuff like vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids that they contain.
1. Oatmeal will boost your energy level and help you have a better workout. If you love working out or going for a power walk or jog first thing in the morning, it’s best to stop in your tracks and have a steamy bowl of oatmeal to give you the power you need to get up and get moving and keep going throughout the day.
2. Fruit provides natural sugar that your body can convert to sugar and then use as fuel. The easily digestible properties of fruit allow the nutrients to be absorbed rapidly by the body and help to sustain it throughout your workout. Combined fruit with yogurt for an energy boosting snack that will keep you satisfied throughout just about any physical activity.
3. Peanut Butter is rich in protein and easily digestible. Just two tablespoons can have as many as 9 grams of protein. A good choice of protein especially if you will be working out within the hour.
4. Yogurt contains both protein and calcium so is an exceptionally good food to eat before your women’s fitness workout.
5. Green Tea is full of antioxidants. In addition to drinking water, green tea is effective for helping to rid your body of toxins and will keep you hydrated during your exercise program.
Some women like to eat a small snack about 30 minutes to and hour before working out. If you need to eat that close to your workout time, then choose a very light snack that is easy on the tummy like Greek yogurt or a spoonful or two of peanut butter for protein and a nice ripe banana to provide a healthy carbohydrate to keep you energized without dragging down your workout.