Smoke filled flavor with a Southwestern flair. Come home from a hard day and belly up to the bar, then scoop up a bowl of this heart-healthy chili and dream about golden sunsets and deserts. This colorful blend will remind you of an Arizona sky.
1 pkg. Jennie O Turkey, lean ground
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion, medium chopped
1 (16 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 small can, no salt added, diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp of chipotle chile pepper
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 can of red kidney beans
1Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Bay leaf
Optional: you can add shredded low-fat cheddar cheese for family members, but if you are trying to watch your weight and fat consumption, try this dish without it.
1. Heat nonstick soup pot on medium heat.
2. Add olive oil and turkey to heated pan.
3. Cook turkey until it is no longer pink.
4. Break up with wooden spoon.
5. Add onion and cook until tender.
6. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.
7. Cook on low heat for 1 hour.
8. Add spices to taste, but they are totally optional.
9. Remove Bay leaf before serving.
A low fat, low sodium, high protein dish that makes chili a healthy choice for your diet. The kidney beans are protein rich and full of fiber, but heed caution, you might have to stay away from open flames after eating.
Have you tried this recipe? Tell us what you think of it in the comment space.
~ Karen Ficarelli
- One-on-One Fitness Phone Consultation with Karen Ficarelli
- Visit me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/KarenFicarelli
- Follow F4H on Twitter - http://twitter.com/fitness4her
- Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/karenficarelli