Kick up the flavor of grilled turkey when you top it with this sassy little salsa that you prepare yourself and have complete control over the sugar and sodium. Do the pre-prep early in the day so the chicken can marinate while you take on the day. The rest is quick and easy and you will have dinner prepared in less than 30 minutes. This recipe makes 4 servings, adjust as needed.
2 chili pepper, chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
Zest of 2 limes
16 oz skinless, boneless turkey breast filets
4 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
2 avocado, diced
4 Tbsp finely diced red onion
4 Tbsp diced tomato
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper, optional to taste
1. In a small bowl mix together chili, garlic and lime zest.
2. Pour mixture over turkey and let marinade in refrigerator for at least one hour. I suggest prepping this the night before or early in the morning for the evening’s dinner.
3. Mix salsa ingredients and set aside.
4. Grill turkey breast until done.
5. Spoon salsa over each breast or serve salsa on the side.
6. A great accompaniment to this dish is Spanish rice.
A lean source of protein, turkey us also a good source of Vitamin B6, zinc and selenium. It’s low in saturated fat, low in cholesterol, low in sodium, low in sugar and low in calories. Avocado contains monounsaturated fatty acids that have been shown to reduce belly fat. Considered MUFA rich, a slice or two of avocado is a tasty treat that packs a bounty of benefits.