A great alternative to sugar-filled cupcakes. Mouth-watering muffins that are sure to please, just ask my son, Ricky–they’re his favorite! Extra bonus: your house will smell like an autumn breeze, while these are cakes are cooking.
2 cups of whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup canned plain pumpkin (not pie filling)
1/2 cup skim milk
Pinch of salt (optional)
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup applesauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and pinch of salt.
3. Whisk together pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, egg, apple sauce, oil until smooth.
4. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture. (It’s okay if it’s a little lumpy.) Stir in seeds
5. Use a nonstick 12-cup muffin tin. Spray lightly with Pam. Divide batter evenly. Cups should be about 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until golden. Test with a toothpick–stick it in the center of one of the muffins, if it comes out dry, then they are done.
7. Let cool before removing from tin.
High in fiber, protein, beta carotene, omega 3 fatty acids. Pumpkin, pumpkin seeds and cinnamon are full of antioxidants. For a healthy heart and a prettier complexion.
Do you like this recipe? Tell us why in the comment space below:
~ Karen Ficarelli
- One-on-One Fitness Phone Consultation with Karen Ficarelli
- Visit me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/KarenFicarelli
- Follow F4H on Twitter - http://twitter.com/fitness4her
- Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/karenficarelli