Shhhh! Mom doesn’t know that I stole this recipe from her pantry. These are signature ‘shrooms that everyone always asks her to make. I needed something different for a party I was having, so I “borrowed” this recipe and decided to share it with all my women’s fitness friends at Fitness4Her.
20 large mushrooms
1 medium onion
Vegetable PAM cooking spray
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 Tbsp white wine
2 Tbsp chopped pimiento
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (fat-free, preferred)
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste (optional, because the cheese will add salt to the dish)
1. Remove mushroom stems and chop, reserve caps.
2. Spray large skillet with vegetable spray.
3. Heat over medium heat until hot.
4. Add chopped mushroom stems, onion, parsley, and sauté until onion is tender.
5. Stir in wine, pimiento, garlic, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional).
7. Arrange mushroom caps in shallow baking pan.
8. Spoon cheese mixture into caps.
9. Bake at 350 degrees until mushrooms are tender and cheese mixture is heated through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Low in calories and fat, mushrooms are a great source of potassium and selenium, an antioxidant that works to protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. Important for women’s fitness and health, mushrooms are nutrient dense and add flavor with very few calories.
Mom’s recipes are fabulous, aren’t they? Tell us your opinion by leaving a comment.