An often overlooked vegetable, cauliflower can be a reasonable substitute for mashed potatoes, although without the starch. This dish is a great complement to my mouth-watering meatloaf, Easy, but not Greasy Muscle Building Meatloaf.
1 Head cauliflower, chopped
1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
4 Tbsp. olive oil
Pinch of fresh mint, chopped ( optional)
Small amount of shredded or grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring cauliflower to a boil.
2. Lower temperature and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Drain completely.
4. Mash cauliflower in glass bowl.
5. Blend in chicken stock.
6. Add a pinch of mint or grated cheese. (optional)
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve hot.
Cauliflower is of the same family as broccoli, it has many of the same phytochemicals that are beneficial to our health. A low fat, nutrient dense food that is a good source of fiber, folate and Vitamin C.
Have you tried this recipe? Give us your opinion of it in the comments section:
~ Karen Ficarelli
- One-on-One Fitness Phone Consultation with Karen Ficarelli
- Visit me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/KarenFicarelli
- Follow F4H on Twitter - http://twitter.com/fitness4her
- Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/karenficarelli