A low-fat version of the southern staple; fried green tomatoes are one of my favorite foods. Best with homegrown tomatoes that are fresh picked from the garden, you can find nice firm varieties at your local fruit market or grocer’s stand.
This dish is a perfect side for any meal, but I like it with eggs and wheat toast for breakfast or snack.
Share your opinion with us and our readers in the comment space below:
4 large tomatoes, cut into ½ inch thick slices
Small amount of extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat grill pan over medium high heat.
2. Add small amount of olive oil to pan or rub tomatoes with oil or cooking spray.
3. Cook 10 minutes on each side.
Health Benefits: Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and potassium. Low in fat, green tomatoes also have about the same amount of beta carotene as red tomatoes but with three times the amount of calcium. Low in sodium, tomatoes provide the best benefits when served with a protein like eggs or meat. The high acid content of the tomato aids in digestion.
Please share your opinion of this recipe in the comment space below:
~ Karen Ficarelli
- One-on-One Fitness Phone Consultation with Karen Ficarelli
- Visit me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/KarenFicarelli
- Follow F4H on Twitter - http://twitter.com/fitness4her
- Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/karenficarelli