My Great Grandma Titone ate Escarole everyday and she lived to be 106 years old. It’s a great addition to any Italian dish.
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 head escarole, trimmed and rinsed
1/2 cup basil, chopped
4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and saute with garlic and onion till golden.
2. Add half escarole until wilted.
3. Put in bowl.
4. Saute remaining escarole, adding oil if needed.
5. Heat remaining oil and saute basil.
6. Add tomatoes and cannellini beans
7. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Season to taste.
9. Mix with escarole.
A good source of plant protein, and low in fat and sodium. High in vitamin A and calcium, which women need. Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and aid in digestion.
Have you tried this recipe? If so, let us know what you think by posting a comment below: