This is a delicious recipe that is meant for sharing. Bake one and take it into the office or classroom. Serve it to your family for a breakfast treat or snack. Remember: Life is all about balance. Moderation is key. Don’t sabotage all that hard work for something sweet.
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup applesauce
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ cup wheat germ or flax seed
2 large eggs or 4 egg whites
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/3cup canola oil
1/3cup low fat milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup diced walnuts
1. Bake at 350ºF.
2. Spray loaf pan with Pam for Baking.
3. Mix together ingredients in large bowl.
4. Once ingredients are mixed, gently stir in walnuts.
5. Don’t overmix! Your goal is a smooth consistency; add a touch of low fat milk if needed.
6. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until golden on top.
7. Cool 5 to 10 minutes.
Health Benefits: Flax seed is rich in lignan, a type of antioxidant that helps to fight disease. Benefits show it helps to lower cholesterol. A great source of fiber, flax seed has a possible role in fighting breast cancer. Bananas are high in potassium and they are a good food for providing fiber and protein. Full of vitamins and nutrients, it’s hard to believe it tastes so good. Your biggest challenge with this bread is to try and eat only a small slice, that’s why it’s best for sharing.
Try this recipe and tell us what you think in the comment space below: