These beans will have you jumping for joy! You can easily whip up this dish quicker than a pizza delivery. My Latino friends taught me this one. It´s a favorite with so many options. Variety is the spice of life.
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup drained black beans
1/4 cup diced green chiles
1 large tomato, diced
2 whole wheat tortillas
1. You can heat the beans in a saucepan or serve them right out of the can.
2. Spread the cheese, beans and chilés on 1 tortilla and lay the other tortilla on top.
3. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and brush or spray with olive oil or PAM spray.
4. Cook each side for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
5. Flip with a dinner plate and slide back into pan.
6. Once each side is crisp and the cheese is melted, serve with your favorite sides.
7. If you prefer, you can bake in the oven until hot and crispy.
Sides: Low fat sour cream, favorite salsa, guacamole (I have a great recipe for that too, small portion sizes, Please!)
The black beans have a high amount of protein and fiber, but you may want to add your favorite lean meat such as chicken, shrimp or beef. Portion control is key when adding meats and sides.
Tried this recipe? Tell us what you think in the comment section.