This recipe is a shortcut of the original that Aunt Tillie used to make. She amended her recipe several years ago, when she found the refrigerated tortellini in the grocery store tasted so good. She used to make her own when she first started cooking and because she never threw anything away, she would use the leftovers to make salads and other meals. However, with the prepackaged varieties available today, you don’t have to wait for leftovers to enjoy this tasty treat.
1 package 8/9 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini
6 cups mixed salad
2 cups fresh mushrooms
1 medium red sweet pepper cut up
1/4 cup basil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbs. olive oil
2 cloves fresh minced garlic
Pepper to taste
1/2 cup fat-free garlic and onion croutons
1 package cherry tomatoes
1. Cook tortellini, drain and rinse.
2. In large salad bowl combine tortellini, greens, mushrooms, peppers, and basil.
3. For dressing: in small shaker add garlic, pepper, oil and vinegar.
4. Add 1/2 teaspoon of water and shake.
5. Pour dressing over salad and toss before serving.
6. On four dinner plates, divide the tortellini mixture.
7. Top with croutons and a few tomatoes.
Low in saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium and sugar. A good source of protein and nutrient rich with plenty of antioxidants. High in fiber and low in calories, this salad will fill you up without making you feel bloated.