Who says you can’t get a great workout and still have fun? For many of us, the hardest part about exercising is just finding the motivation to get started. There’s really not much to look forward to when you run on the treadmill at the gym or lift weights. If this sounds familiar, and you find yourself dragging your feet every time someone mentions the word exercise, then you may want to change up how you exercise.
There are many alternatives to exercising in a gym that can be fun and still offer you a great workout. Listed below are our top 7 ways you can exercise without hitting the gym.
1. Dancing. Dancing is a great way to tone your body and shed the pounds. You’ll be amazed at how much of a workout dancing can provide. Take dance lessons with a friend and learn how to shake your bootie on the dance floor. Dancing also can provide you with that extra boost of confidence you need to look and feel great.
2. Play a Sport. There are many adult leagues that you can sign up for to play just about anything. Softball, soccer, volleyball, even kickball! You don’t have to have a full team to play either. You can usually sign up as a single and they will place you on a team. It’s a great way to meet new people and get your exercise at the same time.
3. Biking. Biking is a great way to exercise and to explore the area around you. Many places have bike trails and most major cities have bike clubs where you can meet new people and share the road with other bike enthusiasts.
4. Swimming. If you’re lucky enough to have a pool at home, then you’re all set for at least part of the year. Invite friends over to play a little pool volleyball or water polo and switch it up a little. For the winter months, try to find a facility that has an indoor pool for you to use.
5. Skating. Whether you have a roller rink or ice rink near you, it’s time to strap on those skates and get moving. Skating can provide hours of fun and a great workout for your legs and thighs.
6. Kayaking/Canoeing. If you live near the water, getting in a kayak or canoe and spending a couple of hours out on the lake or river is a great workout for your arms and back. It’s also a wonderful way to escape from everyday stresses by relaxing out on the water.
7. Rock Climbing. Ok, this might scare a couple of you, but if you’ve ever thought about learning how to climb, most cities have a rock climbing facility where you can take classes. Grab a friend and experience the thrill of conquering the wall while also toning your entire body.
There are so many ways you can get your daily exercise in by simply doing the things you love. Don’t let the word scare you anymore. Find an activity you enjoy and go for it!
Do you know of any other fun ways to exercise? Please share by leaving a comment.